The history of Shamokin Council #458 dates back to October 28, 1899, the date of its founding. Forty three members elected John Meenahan as the first grand knight. The council used the halls of St. Edward's Church and the club rooms of affiliated lodges for assemblies.In four years the Shamokin Knights built a four-story building in the heart of the city's business district on Independence Street, catching the hearts and imagination of Catholic men in the area. The building is now occupied by the Jones Hardware Company and the K of C emblem still can be seen on the top face of the Jones building.
Conditions were such after World War I that the council was compelled to reorganize and retrench, and the building was sold to the Jones Company. The council then purchased a home from the Maher Estate at 15 S. Market Street.During the great depression of the 1930s, the council was compelled to make another move for economic reasons. The new location was rented rooms above the Puritan Candy Store at Liberty and Independence Streets. By 1941, the council was ready for more spacious rented quarters and obtained rooms above the Triangle Shoe store.
On St. Patrick's Day in 1959, the council purchased its own premises at the former O'Brien building at 507 N. Shamokin Street. In 1968 the council purchased the building owned by the former home Furniture Store at 505 N. Shamokin Street. Both buildings were remodelled to suit the council's activities. In 2006, the Shamokin Street building collapsed due to unusually heavy rain, and a search was undertaken to relocate in the Shamokin city vicinity.
In 2009, the council moved to a new building once again on Independence Street in Shamokin that serves as the current council hall. The council has a long and distinguished history and it is the hope of the council to once again catch the hearts and imagination of Catholic men in the area so that the Shamokin K of C may continue to serve with renewed vigor our Catholic parishes, Catholic schools and institutions, as well as the wider community.